The Shadow

"Between the idea / And the reality / Between the motion / And the act / Falls the Shadow . . . For Thine is the Kingdom"

18 December 2006

Spotted


Don't be fooled: this post is not about dalmations, leopards or even polka-dotted leotards. Rather, it's about my chance encounters with people who are somewhat famous. Yep, those minor celebrities who happen to find themselves on the B list or C list, or perhaps somewhere in between like the B flat list.*

This sudden plunge into the murky world of hazy mobile phone-photographs and fruitlessly chased autographs was precipitated by an encounter on the weekend with Chas Licciardello of Chaser fame. I was sitting at a bus stop on Trafalgar St, Petersham, waiting for a bus when Chas went zipping along on his bicycle.

It's not as if seeing Chas is very special -- he doesn't really try to hide himelf -- and I didn't really get to see much of him due to his zippiness, but it was a brief moment moment of excitment as I waited for the bus. I felt like calling out to him, but all I could think to say was "Go Chas!" and this would have been quite unnecessary because he was already going, and going quite well. So I bit my tongue.

This last year I have almost bumped into two other almost-famous people -- in the supermarket. The first was Margaret Pomeranz. The first time I saw her (I've seen her twice) was just days before I had to give a presentation on Renoir's La Grande Illusion. I was thinking about asking her for some insight into the film, but then I thought that it might also be good to say "You're so much better than David" or "Hmmm I like low fat, soy, sweet chilli capsicum dip too."** I got so flummoxed trying to choose between the two that I just gaped awkardly and Margaret slipped away. She really is quite short, you know.

The second shopper of note was arguably the biggest bridesmaid of Australian cricket: the very angry Stuart MacGill. I looked at him once and turned back just to check that it really was him, and as soon as our eyes met he spun around and took off. A very angry character, indeed.

It's pretty pathetic, I know, but I want to see if anyone can beat it. Perhaps a C lister in a leopard-skin leotard. What is your worst 'celebrity' story?

* Go to the comments to see me being hauled over the coals for this awful gaffe.

** There is no guarantee that this was the actual flavour of dip that Margaret was considering. The Shadow takes no responsibility for accuracy when it comes to the eating habits of minor celebrities, although I have heard from a reliable source that Casey Donovan is a frequent visitor to KFC Pagewood, but that's a completely different . . .

Boules update: on the weekend the Reallys once again tasted victory, this time trouncing the Nearlys. Pierre was the standout. His wings were flapping so much that it was a great surprise to all that he didn't fly away (I'm sure that were he in a South American novel, he would have). The best that the Nearlys could do, however, was flap their gums (even a South American novelist would have struggled with them). Bring on the Christmas Eve Special complete with Mexican hats!

8 Comments:

At 9:39 am, Blogger Crazyjedidiah said...

I dunno if this counts but I sang with Human Nature when they were The Four Trax at the school spec back in 92 or 93 or both. Although I don't remember if I was actuallu singing with them. I was in the backing choir and we sang with some but not others. But I definitely sang with Rolf Harris and with Felicity Urqhart (not sure how you spell here name) she now does Sydney weekender.

 
At 10:35 am, Blogger natto said...

I saw Bob Carr at Macquarie Street once. And I guess I'm an bit of a double-Z lister myself, having been on the news when the factory in St Peters burnt down a few years ago.

And I've met Peter Garrett (travesty of travesties, is it one 't' or two?) at Quest.

And Councillor Barry Cotter.

 
At 10:03 pm, Blogger Jonathan said...

I don't think the musical analogy really works, Tim. B flat is between B and A.

Anyone remember Shannon Grant?

 
At 10:13 pm, Blogger tdix said...

Woops! There isn't really much between B and C is there?

It's all in the fingers I believe.

 
At 10:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

had tea+bikkies with lloyd rees-pre eminent aussie painter,
had teenage rucgby tussles with david campese,
was given grant by mayor hanna,
have rubbed shoulders with the mythical mcNeilly Park Boules Club folk---hope to meet jon anderson,lead singer of famed english prog-rock band YES.

 
At 10:13 pm, Blogger tdix said...

"have rubbed shoulders with the mythical mcNeilly Park Boules Club folk"

This really does eclipse all the others. Go to the top of the class. And have a top NYE while you're there.

 
At 4:49 pm, Blogger Crazyjedidiah said...

Today I saw Adam Spencer at kmart at the metro

 
At 10:21 pm, Blogger tdix said...

That's what we're after Crazyjed. Hip hip hooray!!!

Mind you, Adam Spencer once cycled past me at uni, and Jonno apparently used the same office as he did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home